Student Essay Contest
Win a Trip to the Waterpark with your class and a $500 college savings account
The deadline has been extended until May 19 2011
Submit your essay by May 19 for a chance to win a trip to the Evergreen Wings & Waves Waterpark during its grand opening on June 6 and to win a $500 College Savings Account courtesy of Oregon College Savings Plan.
One winner for every grade – 1st-8th. Winners announced by May 27. No purchase necessary.
Essay: Choose one prompt, and in 500 words or less, tell us:
1ST – 2ND GRADE (allowed to submit entries as an essay or artwork)
• We use water daily. Write a few sentences or draw a picture showing us how you use water every
day and why water is important.
• Describe why water is important to living things/ or draw a picture to show how living things
3RD – 5TH GRADE
• Imagine you are a drop of water. Write a narrative describing your journey through the water
cycle. Think about how your form will change and what will cause those changes as you go
through your journey. Remember, you are writing your narrative from a water droplet’s point
• How does water change states as it travels through the water cycle, and how does it impact
6TH – 8TH GRADE
• Why does ice float? Describe the scientific processes that allow this phenomenon to occur.
• Explain the water cycle and its relationship to landforms and weather.
Winners selected based on creativity and demonstrated proficiency of science and writing skills as determined by Oregon state standards. Download more forms and see contest rules at www.evergreenmuseum.org/waterpark. For more information on the $500 college savings account, please visit www.oregoncollegesavings.com.